Welcome to Lasting Impressions, the one place for all things Deliverance and Janz team music featuring Danny Paul and Ken Janz. If this is your first time here, please start reading from the first post (at the bottom of the first archived page). It will make more sense that way.

Saturday, October 02, 2004

Tightrope Radio Mix

In 1980 Tightrope was played several times a day by our local station. At the time I didn't have a copy of the Tightrope album, so I didn't think anything of the version that played on the radio except that I liked it. Very much. In fact when it came on, my 15 year old brain stopped working, and I would sit in a daze until that song was over. I like the song so much that I taped it off of my clock radio into a mono tape recorder and played it over and over again. I resented the DJ for talking over the beginning and end of the song. I tried to erase his loathsome voice, but didn't want to cut into the song even more.

When I finally found a couple of Tightrope albums a few years later, I realized what I had done. I had captured, poorly, the only existing copy of the rare North American Heavy Guitar remix of the song. At least I assumed that was the case. I have been scouring garage sales, delete bins, and record sales looking for that white jacket copy with zero success. My plea to you is this: if you know of a copy or have a copy of this version, please let me know so that I may fulfill my last life-long dream of hearing that version in it's full-blown bass guitar filled glory.
In the meantime, turn OFF the subwoofer (remember, my source is a 3" speaker), and enjoy a no-sax rendition of Tightrope:











These mp3's may need the Quicktime 6 plug-in to display properly.
Here is the above song, in case the embeded version doesn't work like, for example, in my IE 5.2 Mac (grrr). Open source browsers like Firefox and Mozilla work great.
Here is the original version of the taped song. in .AIFF (.WAV but with the Mac's byte order 35.6 MB) or .MP4 (.AAC 6.8 MB).
It cleaned up pretty good considering the original quality. If your studio can do better please send me a copy.

8 Comments:

Blogger HomeSource Custom Homes said...

Great stuff. Hmmm, so fill me in on this "Heavy Guitar" version. Is it different than the original on the record? I have all the original records but was unaware of a different version. Tell me where the difference comes in so that I can search my library. I may have it.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Daryl said...

Well, what more can I say? I had access to all the albums when I lived in Germany and I know that the German albums, with their disco-y saxophones, were exactly the same as the record albums I later bought when I came back to Canada. The problem is that the Radio version was not the same as the vinyl you could buy in the record shop. I imagine the radio version was a specially re-recorded white cover version with guitars replacing the disco sounding saxophone versions. In Canada in the early 80's there was a heavy backlash against disco, so I believe the guitar version had more appeal. Now I just have to find a copy.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Daryl said...

Remember... If you can't see the music controls in the orange box you can click on one of the links below the orange box to get the 'heavy guitar' version. There is the raw file I recorded in 1980, and the cleaned up version.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Daryl;
Are you related to Al Sawatzky from Winnipeg? Is he still with us? Worked with him many years ago.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Daryl said...

Alas no. I don't know an Al Sawatzky.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When were you in Germany? Your site brings back many memories. I am the 'other' Paul appearing on the first two Deliverance albums.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Daryl said...

HI! nice to 'meet' you! You're the first band member to post a comment here. I think others have looked but I haven't been contacted. I'm expecting the hammer to come down on me sooner or later. The Janz Team seems to be re-releasing some of the old stuff. I would LOVE to hear more covers of the Deliverance songs though. Danny's done a couple. We want MORE! :)

We were in Germany (BFA) from 1978-1980. I was in Jr. high then. My parents were staff... dorm parents and teachers. I spent a lot of time in Lorrach with my friends Steve and Tim Janz, who introduced me to a lot of new things. I was a sheltered kid. Anyways, thanks for your support.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Wesley Amorim said...

Hi, Daryl

I want to say: great job!
I am from Brazil and I really apreciate your blog. I see now that many brazilian singers have used this greats songs, of course, translated to portuguese!!

See you!!

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home